Are you already starting to feel a bit of the Holiday pressure?
Does it seem like the lists are growing a bit bigger every day?
Maybe you’re feeling stressed about throwing a Holiday party, a family function or even what to get for those on your gift list. It never fails - Thanksgiving comes, we eat a great meal, spend some time with family and then BOOM, it’s Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, Cyber Monday and here we are smack dab in the heart of the Holidays! I always remember starting to have a bit less sleep right after Thanksgiving is over, as there is so much to do and get ready for. If you are a multitasking person like me you may be making plans for work functions, end of season celebrations, holiday shopping, kids Christmas parties, teacher gifts, Santa stuff, decorating and all the other things that come with the holidays. Before you let the stress and anxiety creep up on you, I encourage you to stop right now, take a deep breath and try to put a few simple steps in place to keep the Holidays sane and as stress free as possible.
- You know how I love lists - make a December list of events you need to plan for and what needs to get done to make them happen with success. Next a list of people you want to remember for the Holidays with cards, cookies, gifts or even just a call to say hello with a cheerful wish. Remember to check things off when they are done so you are feeling accomplished.
- Next - carve out some time each day to breathe, move, exercise or stretch to make sure you are being mindful of your body and health. After all, this is a time to think about others and it is easy to forget about yourself.
- Try to get plenty of rest between parties and functions. Go to bed early and read something that takes your mind away from all the planning to give yourself a nice break.
- Space yourself between bites and sips at parties and choose your selections wisely so you don’t feel bad afterwards that you may have over indulged.
- Finally - have fun and enjoy celebrating a fun, festive, spiritual and meaningful Holiday with people that are special to you and who bring love and joy to your life!
My favorite affirmation for staying sane this holiday season is;
“I will keep joy in my heart through the Holidays and focus on what is important”
(Don’t let the tasks at hand make you crazy - keep cool and carry on!)