I for one want to live a long beautiful life and that is not a hard thing to do today more than ever before as research has shown the life expectancy has risen dramatically over the past several years due to many factors. When I am able to spend time with my eighty-one year old father, I think about this a lot, as of course I would love to have him around for as long as possible! I have taken time to read and study centenarians and what people do to live to 100 and beyond. There are few things that continue to pop up as common threads but there are also many differences in lifestyles and viewpoints. Of course genes can play a role, but surprisingly this was a small percentage of the reason people tend to live longer lives. I have made a list of some of the things that might just help to extend your life, some may come as a surprise to you, but some of you may already be on a good track with a few as well
- Stay active - research now shows that small amounts of movement a week will still give you amazing benefits over living a life of no movement. Walking or staying on the move a few times a week will be a great improvement and will keep you living longer.
- Be positive - keeping a positive mindset is a key player in living a longer, healthier life. Research shows that people who are negative, pessimistic and non-trusting don’t live as long as people who always look on the bright side of things.
- Eat less - scientists have found that eating less can slow down the aging process at a cellular level and protect the cells from harmful deterioration. So it’s not all about what you eat but how much you eat that matters.
- Volunteer - studies have shown that helping others can lead to a longer, better life. Volunteerism has been linked to lower rates of depression and overall greater well-being so make it a point to get involved to feel better and live longer.
- Take naps - I love this one - not easy for people like me who are on the go so much and running so many directions but research has shown that as few as three 30 minute naps per week can lower risk of a heart related death by over 30%. At that rate, it might worth a try now and then!
- Drink coffee - remember, not bottomless cups of it, but there are certainly enough studies that show that coffee is one of the biggest sources of antioxidants in the western diet! These studies show that people who drink the most coffee live longer and have reduced risk of diseases like Alzheimer’s and Diabetes. Coffee drinkers are also less prone to depression so have a few cups of java, live longer and be happy!
- A cup of tea - I had to add this in for all of you tea lovers out there. I am more of a coffee drinker but do enjoy a cup of tea now and then. The health benefits are amazing from prevention of heart disease and cancer to weight loss and improving the bacteria that live in your in intestinal tract.
- Smile more - there a so many benefits that a smile can bring such as feeling happier, having less stress, looking more beautiful but it has also been shown to help you live longer by lowering your heart rate and reducing blood pressure. So, as simple as this can get - put on a happy face, you will benefit and so will the people around you!
- Go to church - many surveys have shown that people of all ages who attend worship services feel more supported, less alone, more fulfilled, less stressed and an overall sense of feeling good!
- Be social - this is really important if you are looking for a longer and healthier life. You need to pick the right people to be around such as positive and inspiring friends and family and you just may have increased your chances of living longer by up to 50%! Your friends and family should also be there to encourage you to take good care of yourself and to keep you moving in the right direction.
The most important thing that you can do is to ENJOY LIFE - this was the most common thread with people who lived to be 100 or beyond. These individuals felt good about their health, well-being and support systems that were in place and really made an effort to enjoy living! So, here is my affirmation for you to take with you this week.
My affirmation for you this week is;
Leave a comment