What does it mean to be a leader and what are the characteristics of someone that would most likely become one? I have thought about this a bit lately since my 13 year old daughter was asked to attend a girls leadership event at a local College. The event was designed to help girls address various issues and questions in hopes that they will continue to make good decisions in life and strive to be effective leaders for others.
I’m sure that every parent wants their kids to become strong enough to make the right choices and instead of following someone down the wrong path, lead people to better places. But, are we all equipped with the capabilities to lead? In this particular program that the kids attended, the word LEAD stood for Leadership, Education, Advocacy and Development. All of these things are important for a young person to grow and succeed in life, but what are some of the necessary attributes needed to effectively lead others to be better and to be more successful? I have come up with some of my top favorites characteristics to share with you in hopes that you might be able refine your leadership skills and continue to help others to be the best they can be.
- Authenticity - People know when you are being real or just trying to get things done.
- Confidence - Make sure you stand by your decisions believing they are the right ones.
- A good listener - Listen first - then talk, will allow you to understand and lead better.
- Positivity - Everyone wants to be around someone that brings a positive mindset.
- Generosity - Open your heart to give of your time and resources to help others.
- Inspirational - Motivate others by inspiring them to be better and to succeed in life.
- Persistence - To be successful and to lead you will have continue the path regardless of what obstacles come your way!
There are so many characteristics that I could add to this list but these are some of my top picks. The most important thing to remember is that you should always “lead by example”. Be the person you are trying to lead people to be and make your life the example of how things should be done. If your heart and mind are in the right place, your leadership skills will flourish and people will follow.
My affirmation for you this week is;
“I am confident in my role as a leader and will continue to use my life as an example in helping people become the best they can be”.
Leave a comment